Pages

Thursday 20 June 2013

Virtual Stock Portfolio Update Week 1

I currently manage a virtual stock portfolio on Yahoo Finance, I will be posting weekly updates on how my portfolio has fared against the markets.


Currently my portfolio is composed of manily FTSE100 companies which are market leaders in their field. I focus mainly on defensive stocks which tend to grow whatever the economic conditions, that is why my portfolio is composed of consumer stables which customers will still purchase their products even in a downward economy.

In the first week of July my portfolio is currently under performing, but generally this isn’t a surprise as most stocks are not performing well. This mainly due to the weak data coming out of Japan and also a strengthening yen (see graph below). This news is causing problems for my portfolio because many of the companies that are in my portfolio rely on cheap Japan exports. But if the Yen continues to rise my companies will have to offer up more capital in return for their purchases.
In order to hedge my portfolio against this I have taken up positions in stocks that are not exposed to Japan and focus solely on the UK Economy.


Stay tuned for more updates in the coming weeks.




References : Yahoo Finance 44SGTHFJRDWQ

No comments:

Post a Comment